Sunday, April 3, 2011

Just a quick update. Stole some time this afternoon to work on cleaning up the seatstay to rear dropout join. I said some while back that you do these by adding an excess of brass and then carefully filing and shaping it back to a smooth joint. I do the front and back of the join first, filing the brass an steel tab of the dropout down to a nice smooth transition, and then I hit the sides of the join with a sanding drum to get a concave face at the bottom of the stay.



It's a ridiculous amount of work for such a tiny joint. I'm sure with better brazing and heat control I could get the work required down a bit but for the moment it's a real time soak.



A while ago I posted a pic of a frame I made for myself last winter. It's been off to the blaster's to get sandblasted and I'm just giving it the once-over before getting it painted. I used a wishbone read stay on this one. You can see where the seatstays join into the Y-shaped yoke and where the single tube continues up to the back of the seat cluster. Looks cool, but I'm not in a hurry to do another one.

No comments: