Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dom's bike looks like a bike now...

Big session in the shed over Australia Day. The bike is starting to look a lot more like a bike as opposed to a collection of tubes.



This is my build bible. The image on the front has the main dimensions, but the pages behind it have all the nitty gritty detail. Like the distance between miters.



Mitering the tubes is fiddly and boring work. So I didn't take any photos of it. But here is the seat-tube end of the top tube. It needs to snug up against the seat tube with 100% contact so that the silver braze will flow around the whole joint.



Looking a lot like a bike!



Water bottle bosses in place.



Brazing 'finger'. It's nothing more or less than a thick bit of flat steel bar with the end ground to a point. The other end is resting on my trusty lab stand and basically all it does is put enough pressure on the braze-on to hold it in place while you do your work.



Post-braze. Silver braxing flux comes off easily in hot water. So, off to the kitchen for a scrub...



... and after a scrub and a tiny bit of clean-up with some emery cloth.



Nothing terribly exciting here, just a shot of the business part of my shed. Bicycle specific tools on the left, workstand and oxy/propane torch in the middle, and my main vice and general tools to the right. Hard-rubbish Bang & Olfson stereo bolted to the wall above the red toolbox.



Road frame I built over winter awaiting paint. Really should get around to doing that soon...



Finally, steel fork for the frame I'm building at the moment. 1" threadless steerer tube, Columbus Nivacrom legs and drop-outs with mudguard eyelets.

That's it for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see that you are back at it. I keep checking from time to time to see if you have anything new going on. All of a sudden you will have three or four posts that I haven't seen. Keep up with it. Its always nice to see what you are up to.

Wil

loki cycles said...

Cheers Wil. I've been making some great progress with a few bike projects. I should have 3 frames ready to hit the painter's almost simultaneously! Thanks for checking back.