Sunday, September 30, 2012

New bike... B's Road bike

It's been pretty quiet in the shed since I finished Dom's bike. Fortunately, I have another willing test pilot, a colleague of mine we shall call B.

B has been riding seriously for a few years, and has mainly been aboard a Surly Crosscheck. The aim of this build is to try and preserve as many of the 'contact points' of the crosscheck, but to wrap it up in a lighter, racier chassis. I've got a prototype design sorted out for her, with a more detailed fit to come in the next few weeks.


In terms of the construction, B's only request was for something that used 'simple, understated lugs'. I've been a massive fan of Mike Zanconato's aesthetic for many years now, and this was the perfect opportunity to build something in a homage to his style, based around the lovely Walter seat lug. You can see it here with the integrated seat stay ports. Very clean and simple.

I'm still a way off committing to exact lengths and angles, but in the meantime, I thought I would start with the sub-assemblies. Fork crowns are always a good place to begin. On the right is a crown for a disc-braked cyclocross bike I'm building. It looks massive in comparison to the road fork crown. I've pretty much standardised on this sort of road fork crown. They are beautiful to work with and are super light, well machined and strong. Both crowns shown here with a pin in place to hold the crown while I braze it.



All fluxed up and ready to go...



Post brazing, with the flux soaked off...



And finally, after some clean-up.



No comments: