Saturday, October 25, 2008

Leighton's bike is finished. I brazed in the rear bridge and did the final cleanup on the rear dropouts today. The rear bridge is a short length of 1/2" cro-mo tubing with a water bottle boss brazed into the underside. I brazed it - as I always like to braze bridges - from the inside out.













A little coil of silver was wedged into each end and fluxed up. I gently sweated the tubes, using the flame to pull the silver through the joint to the outside. When I was done I had a perfectly radiused fillet, with no cleanup whatsoever. Very satisfying.













A trial fit with a track wheel from the first bike I built lined up perfectly, with the wheel exactly centered in the rear triangle.

A few photos outside and I'm going to call it done. Next stop, the powdercoaters, but I'm waiting on getting the fork back from friend of mine who is currently turning the crown race down on his lathe.





















Shamus joined me for the photos.

No comments: